These pretty flowers mark the beginning of spring. And they have a lot of history to tell. Today, April 4, is usually its day of maximum flowering.
The cherry tree is one of the most beautiful fruit trees that you can have in your garden or even in a large pot on the terrace. Originally from Greece, it was during the Roman Empire that its cultivation spread throughout different areas of Europe. You belong to the Rosaceae family such as the apple, quince or pear tree, and to the Prunus genus. It is a deciduous tree.
In Spain, the cherry trees from the Jerte Valley are the most consumed variety. The best cherry trees grow in that region due to the optimal weather conditions. The most cultivated variety is the Prunus avium – mountain cherry, sweet or wild cherry-.
The cherry bears low temperatures well and as flowering is late, in the months of April and May, the health of the flower is not usually in danger, as it can be damaged by temperatures below 0 ºC. That if, when it blooms, it is a spectacle to see the extensions of cherry trees in bloom as you can see in the photos that we have selected below. After the flowers will grow the leaves that last all summer.
The fruit of the cherry tree is the cherry or morello cherry and it is one of the most precious summer fruits. So in addition to being one of the most beautiful and ornamental fruit trees, it is ideal for having a good harvest of delicious cherries.
- Cherry tree care
- Japan cherry
- 1 Cherries
- 2 Cherry blossoms are the national flower of Japan
- 3 Picnics or hanamis are more spectacular at night
- 4 In the US cherry trees date back to 1912
- 5 Peak bloom is around April 4
- 6 Predictions cannot be made too far in advance
- 7 Cherry is the best-selling fragrance in the US.
- 8 In Japan, this is the most bucolic view of cherry blossoms
- 9 In the US, the cherry blossom is associated with the capital of the country
- 10 Neither Washington nor Japan have the title of the cherry blossom capital of the world
- 11 Cherry blossoms are not always pink
- 12 Each tree can only flower for a maximum of one week
Cherry tree care
- LIGHT: in the early stages of growth it does not tolerate direct light well, so it may require you to cover the incipient cherry plants. Then you will need direct sunlight.
- SOIL: the cherry tree needs an aerated soil. You should avoid compact and clay soils. Its roots tend to go deep into the ground so you will need deep soil.
- PRUNING: the best time to prune the cherry tree is in autumn, when it finishes bearing fruit, so it will be prepared for winter and the next bloom. Don’t prune any in the middle of winter.
- IRRIGATION: does not require large amounts of water but avoid extremes. You should not let the soil get too dry or too waterlogged. You must maintain a slight humidity of the soil for its perfect growth. And scarcity will always be better than excess water.
Japan is undoubtedly one of the countries where the beauty of cherry trees is most enjoyed. the variety that is cultivated in Asia is the Prunus serrulata ( Sakura ), and with the flowering of the trees the arrival of spring is celebrated.
Having a picnic under the cherry trees is a Japanese tradition. The centuries-old custom is known as hanami, which means the emission of flower. Ancient writings confirm that the tradition began with emperors and members of the imperial palace.
Eating cherries and picotas is not only a pleasure for the palate, but also provides your body with excellent nutritional properties. Discover the properties of cherries.
2 Cherry blossoms are the national flower of Japan
as they represent renewal and hope.
3 Picnics or hanamis are more spectacular at night
For these country evenings, known as yozakura, the Japanese hang paper lanterns on cherry trees to light them up.
4 In the US cherry trees date back to 1912
Japan sent the trees to the US as a symbol of friendship and goodwill. In 1915, the US thanked him with a shipment of flowering dogwood trees to Japan.
5 Peak bloom is around April 4
Although peak bloom varies each year, it is defined as the day when 70% of Toshino’s cherry trees are open. The flowering period can last up to 14 days.
6 Predictions cannot be made too far in advance
Do you want to enjoy the cherry blossoms in all their splendor? You will have to wait until March to plan your trip as this is when the predictions start to be made.
7 Cherry is the best-selling fragrance in the US.
The top perfume in the US is Bath and Body Works, Japanese Cherry Blossom. Thirty million units of the mix of cherry blossoms, fresh pears, mimosa petals and sandalwood are sold each year.
8 In Japan, this is the most bucolic view of cherry blossoms
The image of cherry blossoms framing Mount Fuji is a very common sight on postcards, thanks to its location around the lake.
9 In the US, the cherry blossom is associated with the capital of the country
Surrounded by flowers, the city of Washington attracts millions of visitors in spring and is a tourist hotspot for the country in spring.
10 Neither Washington nor Japan have the title of the cherry blossom capital of the world
Rather, it is Macon, Georgia, which is home to more than 300,000 cherry trees. While these trees are obviously not native to the South, William A. Fickling Sr., a local realtor, discovered one in his own backyard in 1949. On a business trip to Washington, DC, he learned more about the flowers cherry tree to bring more to his hometown.
11 Cherry blossoms are not always pink
The Takesimensis variety, known for its white flowers, is actually more common than you think. Other flowers can change color throughout the blooming period, such as Ukon, which go from greenish yellow to white before turning pink.
12 Each tree can only flower for a maximum of one week
While cherry blossom season usually lasts about a month, from the time the firstblooms to the last, each tree can only flower for about a week. Trees generally live 30 to 40 years.