We present a form of construction that, although it is ancient, today more than ever is on the rise. We speak of course of the construction of modern adobe houses, which for those who do not know, we clarify that they are the houses that are built from natural materials such as clay, sand, mud and water.
Today, there are countless houses built in this material around the world, ranging from emergency shelters to luxury homes.
It should be clarified that they should not fear for the aesthetics of their home, since in mud houses they can also have the desired modern style, since today many of the most sought-after large mansions have been made from this alternative material. .
Observe how the use of curved lines, easy to do with this material, enriches the architecture and at the same time, gives a feeling of relaxation and warmth. It seems that human beings get along better with curved lines than with straight ones.
Adobe comes from the Middle Egyptian word “dbt”, which means “mud brick”. As Middle Egyptian eventually evolved into Coptic several centuries later, the word became “tobe.” This was incorporated into the Arabic “al-tub” or “tuba”, which was later adapted into Old Spanish “adobe”.
Advantages of adobe houses
This material is an alternative to many other materials, which due to the irresponsible behavior that man has had for thousands of years, today are exhausted or about to be exhausted, which has serious consequences on the environment. As if this were not enough, many materials used in construction produce a lot of environmental pollution. Therefore, if we want to adopt a responsible behavior, we can start by building our home from adobe, in addition to the fact that we will be benefiting from a huge number of features that we will discuss below.
- Money saving – This material is much cheaper than all other building materials.
- Non-toxic: Mud bricks are not harmful to our health as it will not harm our lungs if the dust is inhaled.
- They give us dust-free environments: since mud bricks do not collect dust as much as traditional ones.
- Mold-free: They prevent mold growth, as you will rarely find mold in a clay or mud house.
- Long-lasting: Mud bricks are a material that lasts for several decades, plus if your house needs repair, labor and material costs will be much lower.
- Good insulation: houses made of this material are characterized by excellent insulation, retaining fresh air in the summer months and hot air in the winter months. So they also allow us to save on heating and air conditioning. They also isolate sound very efficiently.
- Easy to mould: Being an easily mouldable material, this allows free architectural forms to be easily created, for example, enriching the aesthetics with curved lines.